A blog by Monash Business students

Wednesday 5 March 2014

Annabel: First day of classes

No comments :
My first day of Monash classes has finally arrived! While I was on the tram this morning for my first lecture, I was worried about the amount of information I was about to take in, especially after my 3 month break from study. 

Luckily, there was a friend from secondary school in my first lecture, so at least there was a familiar face. I must admit that having a friend there didn't lead to much encouragement to meet new people, but I’m sure that there will be plenty of opportunities. 

My first lecture reinforced how different uni is to high school. First of all, the lecture theatre was less like a classroom and more like an auditorium. The number of students in the lecture was like my year 11 and year 12 levels combined, all listening to one teacher, with this teacher not knowing anything about me, not even my name. 

It can be a little overwhelming but there were some positives, such as not being singled out by the teacher to answer a question, although I’ve heard I have that to look forward to in my tutorials. You can chew gum and not be told off, and being able to wear whatever you want is always a bonus. 

Sitting in that large auditorium relieved some of my stress over feeling like the new kid as everyone is in the same position. There are 300 people feeling like the new kid, all feeling nervous and all feeling a little lost and overwhelmed. The whole idea of the teacher not knowing my name was a huge reminder that being a university student now means I am responsible for my education and need to become an independent learner, keeping up to date with all tasks and assessments. 

I was relieved after my first lecture, but I’m looking forward to the lectures, tutorials and activities in store for the rest week.

No comments :

Post a Comment