A blog by Monash Business students

Monday 25 January 2016

Jaymes: Double degrees

No comments :
Are you tossing up between two different degrees, and not sure which one to go with? Why not do both? Our students talk about the best parts of their double degrees and their career aspirations.

Q. Why did you chose to study a double degree?
A. I chose to study a double degree to enhance my employability while pursuing differing interests. On the one hand I liked practical work and the sciences. On the other, I was interested in money and how the global economy worked.

Q. How did you choose to do a Commerce and Engineering double degree and why do you think these areas complement each other?
A. I believe these areas complement each other because in engineering, I would have both the technical skills and the business acumen to lead a project straight away. In the financial world, I have the commercial awareness as well as the problem solving ability to work through any issues or conflicting ideas.

Q. How has your double degree impact your future career goals?
A. My double degree has impacted my future career goals by completely changing my trajectory. Originally I was looking at a career in Engineering, however after studying years of Commerce, I have discovered that a career in the financial world is the best move to fully utilise the skills obtained in both of my degrees.

Q. What are the best parts of your commerce degree?
A. The best parts of my Commerce degree are the real world applications; I can see that what I am learning is being applied every day. Additionally, the flexibility afforded by being able to try multiple disciplines before deciding on a major is invaluable and could save students pursuing the wrong degrees from the get go.

Q. What are the best parts of your other degree?
A. My Engineering degree has been fantastic for group work and problem solving. Working in groups and being a team member is a part of life and my other degree has prepared me well in that regard. In addition, Engineering is heavily based on problem solving and focuses on project based learning; I know these are skills to take with me wherever I end up.

No comments :

Post a Comment